Thursday, February 13, 2014

Thursday DIY: Valentine Special

Hello everyone! This post is for ALL of the people who decide, like myself, to wait last minute to get a gift.  Though this blog, you will learn I don't like paying for things... (full price).  Some people say I am "cheap" others will say I am "thrifty"... I agree with the latter of the two.  Today is DIY day! Hurray!!!

For those who do not know what DIY is or how to do it.  DIY means Do It Yourself and the projects can range from simple or super complex.  I tend to dabble in the simple projects.  I find MOST of my projects through Pinterest and you can follow me here. The DIY projects I do require little supplies and little effort.

Todays DIY will be.....drum roll please...
.
DIY: Valentine's in a Shell



These are easy to do but they do take a while unless you "blow" the yolk and white out.  I got impatient and tried to blow them out and I ended up busting more eggs than I wanted; thus, I had to run to get more eggs. I found this ideas here but I am using food coloring instead of paint.  Here are some other ways to decoratehere.  There are many AWESOME ideas but I don't have some of the items it wants. I really REALLY like the one with the old tie... If you do it, comment with the pictures on how they turned out!  This is a really cool idea too, click here!
eggs

What you need:
  • Eggs (one for everyone you want to give them to or one per family)
  • A Piece of paper
  • Pen or Pencil
  • A Needle (I used an embroidery needle)
  • A nail (to make the hole bigger)
  • A Butterknife
  • Bowl (to catch the egg)
  • Paint, Food Coloring, Easter Egg Dye, Etc... (To decorate! I am using food coloring in water)
What I did:
  1. Wash your eggs! This is SOOO important to lessen the likelihood of salmonella.
  2. Dry your eggs
  3. Set your eggs on top of the shot glasses.
  4. Hold your egg in place.  Then, position the needle on top and use the butterknife as a hammer. GENTLY hit the needle.  The harder you hit, the more likely the egg with crack or break.
  5. Flip the egg and do the same to the other side so you have two holes; one on each side.
  6. Make the holes about 2 mm big so the yolk is easier to get out. But be careful.... Because you are aloud to cry over spilled eggs.
  7. Lightly blow the egg out.
  8. Repeat this with all of your eggs.
  9. Once the yolk is out, wash near the holes and get any yolk that happened to stick.
  10. I prepared four food coloring 'baths' in small Tupperware dishes.  I put about a few inches of water in and added food coloring to whatever color consistency I wanted.
  11. Keep in the bath until you have the color you want.
  12. Take the eggs out and let them dry.
  13. You can also draw on them with sharpie if you want.
  14. Measure and cut a strip of paper that is 1/2 inch wide and a 2-3 inches long.
  15. Write your secret note!
  16. Tightly roll up the note and push it through one of the holes that you made in the beginning.
Picture from http://www.ohcrafts.net/gifts-message-inside-an-egg.php

Now! You can confuse many people on Valentines day by giving out eggs.  This shows how off and crazy you are... or at least I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment